The internet finally gave us something useful. The Star Wars: Death Star Owner's Technical Manual: Imperial DS-1 Orbital Battle Station. Get your copy here.
Considering we spend about a third of our lives sleeping, there are a lot of things most of us don't know about it. Here's a list of 11 surprising facts about sleep, from Buzzfeed.com.
1. The record for staying awake is 18 days, 21 hours, and 40 minutes.
2. Parents of a new baby usually lose about 400 to 750 hours of sleep in the first year.
3. After five nights of not getting enough sleep, three drinks can get you just as drunk as six drinks normally would.
4. 12% of people dream in black-and-white. Before color TV, it was 75%.
5. You get most sleepy from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM, and from 3:00 AM to 5:00 AM. And you can achieve maximum alertness at 1:00 PM and 1:00 AM.
6. A newborn baby sleeps between 10 and 19 hours per day.
7. If you went without food and sleep, you'd die from SLEEP deprivation first. Ten days without sleep can kill you . . . but it takes about two weeks to starve.
8. Blind people can still see images in their dreams.
9. Not getting enough sleep can make you gain weight. When you're sleep deprived, you tend to feel hungrier, and it can make you overeat.
10. Losing sleep can reduce your pain tolerance.
11. Counting sheep doesn't work.
We've got the results of a new survey on the top things that make parents UNCOOL. But let's be honest . . . your kids are going to think you're uncool due to the mere fact that you ARE their parents. And there's nothing you can do to change that.
Still, here are the top 15 things that make you even LESS cool . . .
1. Not knowing the top songs on the charts.
2. Not being able to work an iPhone.
3. Not knowing the words to current songs.
4. Your fashion sense.
5. Owning a sensible or practical car.
6. Not seeing the attraction of video games.
7. Not knowing what "twerking" is.
8. Not knowing what Spotify is.
9. Not letting your kids stay out late.
10. Making your kids wear embarrassing clothes to school.
11. Singing and dancing around the house.
12. Being a smoker.
13. Your hairstyle.
14. Wanting to go with your kids on nights out.
15. Not knowing who pop singers are.
Some of the other things that made the top 30 list are: Not letting your kids join Facebook . . . having a Facebook account . . . having a tattoo . . . and not having a tattoo. Lose-lose.
According to this list, you're spending so much time NOT WORKING at work that it's not clear when you actually squeeze in a few minutes for actual work. Here are the top 10 most popular ways we waste time at work . . .
1. Socializing. 14% of people say this is their number one time waster.
2. Social networking. 77% of people with Facebook check it at work.
3. Web surfing. 45% of people say this is their biggest time waster.
4. Job hunting. 46% of people currently searching for a job are doing it during work hours.
5. Meetings. 11% of people say meetings are their biggest time waster.
6. Taking care of personal business. 10% of people plan events at work, 2.3% make personal phone calls, and 3.1% run errands during work hours.
7. Unexpected problems. 37% of people say their biggest time waste is fixing other people's mistakes . . . 11% of people say computer problems waste the most time.
8. Communication. The average person wastes 74 minutes a day trying to contact people and waiting for responses.
9. Distractions. 36% of people say annoying coworkers waste their time . . . 22% say they're always stuck doing unproductive busy work.
10. Daydreaming. 4% of people say this is their top distraction.